Brave Heart's Community Programs
The services Brave Heart Volunteers offers the community of Sitka, Alaska include
- compassionate volunteer visiting,
- family caregiver education,
- grief support and education,
- bereavement follow-up support,
- end-of-life volunteer care and respite time for families and care-receivers,
- training, orientation, interviews, screening, and staff coordination of all visiting volunteers, and
- comprehensive end-of-life training and education for volunteers assisting terminally ill care-receivers.
Our office also contains a lending library of related materials.
Three additional service programs began in 2010:
Learning Through Service
A program in which 5th grade students serve lunch at the local Senior Center five days per week.
Uses the nationally recognized program "TimeSlips" to bring meaningful storytelling into the lives of people experiencing dementia.
A Brave Heart Volunteer plays music for residents identified as "isolated" in the Sitka Pioneers Home, as well as for elderly members of the community who are home-bound.